Some of the latest plugins for Mice and Trackpads for Google Chrome don’t quite work properly with gestures / scroll-to-zoom. Google Maps is a prime example – with a Logitech Mouse and Smooth Scroll enabled the Maps behave erratically zooming all the way in and out with any small mouse-wheel movements.
Currently the solution appears to be: disable your Chrome extensions for your Mice/Touchpad – for Example Logitech Set-point. Chrome appears to work fine without the extension enabled and Google Maps does not behave erratically.
For super-users there’s some more advanced options like disabling scroll-zoom in Chrome all together but the solutions aren’t that elegant yet. Hopefully Google and/or Logitech et. al. will come the party with updated software soon.
Updated Solution Confirmed working properly with Google Maps and Google Chrome:
- Remove the Setpoint / Smooth-scroll plugin from Chrome (Uninstall it completely, restart Chrome)
- Open the Logitech Setpoint Application (Hit windows and start to type “Mouse and Keyboard Settings” you will see it pop up)
- Click on the “Pointer and Scrolling Settings” tab
- Uncheck “Enable Smooth Scrolling”
- Restart – problem is solved